Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Feelin' Crafty: Kid-made chocolate stirring spoons

We made these as a fun treat for Thanksgiving morning coffee (gotta start that lonngg day of cooking with coffee, right??), but they'd also be super-cute as a Christmas treat or even a Christmas gift!  

These are super-simple to make, and my kids had SO much fun.

You'll need a few things before you start.
- chocolate chips (this is kind of up to your taste.  we like dark chocolate in our coffee, so I used semi-sweet.  If you're more of a "pour on the sweet" type of coffee drinker, then probably milk chocolate would work better for you.)
- plastic spoons (just a note, you will be putting these into hot melted chocolate.  I always recommend a good brand of plastic spoons so they don't melt)
- clear plastic wrap (to wrap up the spoons)
- ribbon (I forgot to buy Thanksgiving ribbon, so I used leftover Christmas ribbon from last year.  Thus, the weird green-and-gold combination)

- decoration, as wanted (I forgot to buy this, too, so we used leftover sprinkles.  I will say that my coffee-purist husband won't use the chocolate spoons with any decor on them - the semisweet chocolate is as far as he's willing to go)

First step is to melt the chocolate.  True confessions, we don't own a microwave.  We used to... but we never really used it.  Plus, I hate to clean it.  AND, our tiny crackerjack box house has a tiny kitchen, with no room for a microwave.  So, I melt chocolate in a glass bowl over a metal pot of boiling water - think a DIY double boiler.  A microwave would also work.

Let the chocolate cool just a TINY bit, then stir it and pour it into a bowl.

Dip the first spoon into the chocolate... and kinda try to get as much on the "right" side of the spoon as you can.  The back of the spoon should be wiped as clean as possible, because that's the side that will lay on the plastic wrap.



Then drop your decorations onto the still-hot chocolate.


Then place the chocolate onto a small square of plastic wrap and let it sit.  When the chocolate has cooled and hardened, pull the plastic wrap around the spoon and tie it together with a pretty ribbon.


Store in the fridge up to a week before use. 

1 comment:

  1. first - you have no microwave, that seems crazy to me :) secondly I can't wait to try this idea with my kids! Its on our Christmas list of things to do!

    ReplyDelete