Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Feelin' Crafty: Applesauce cinnamon ornaments!

My house smells like Christmas now!  The cinnamon scent is wonderful this time of year, and the kids had a ton of fun making these small ornaments.  :-)

These are so easy to make and, while I wouldn't eat them (probably wouldn't taste good), they are made with totally harmless ingredients!  I love that!

We used a 1 to 1 ratio of plain, unsweetened ("natural style") applesauce and cinnamon (I used 1 1/2 cups of each, but any amount will be fine as long as it's a 1 to 1 ratio).

It makes a "dough" pretty easily, I just blended with a spoon (just to note, wash the bowl and spoon fairly quickly afterwards!).  

I let the kids flatten their section of dough with their hands, then they tried the rolling pin to make it flat.  They used our plain metal Christmas cookie cutters to cut out the ornaments.
                                    

They'll take a while to dry.  From how mine are going, I'm guessing 4+ days - but it's super humid here, so maybe yours will be faster. Make sure to poke a hole for thread/ribbon if you're going to use them as ornaments.  After I took this picture, I ended up taking sticks from the yard, breaking them into small pieces, and using them to keep the holes open while they are drying - much, much easier than re-poking the holes every hour for the next 4 days.  




For the Kids Friday

0 comments:

Post a Comment