Monday, October 31, 2011

Stringing by color shade.

Today, we worked on stringing beads by the shade of color.

I made the beads pretty quickly by simply painting them with four progressively lighter shades of the same color.  I used milk paint, but really any paint would work - just keep adding white to lighten the shade.   Today, we started with two colors: a dark brown-red (called "barn red") and an orange ("pumpkin").   We used pipe cleaners to string our beads onto. 

The Princess started by separating the red colors from the orange colors. 
                                                  

She started with the orange colors, stringing the beads in order from darkest to lightest.  It's helpful to crimp the end of the pipe cleaner or tie a knot in the string, because it can be tricky to keep the beads on with a loose end.  

When she had finished the orange beads, she started with the red ones.  Again, she worked from darkest to lightest.  

We're going to keep this on our shelves this week, and I think I'll add the rest of the colors I made in, to give her more challenge.  


Montessori Monday

3 comments:

  1. Very cute! We have pasta beads (using your tutorial, THANKS!) with pipe cleaners on our tray this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute, I should do this for my daughter in a few months. She's starting to get the hang of colors. Shades may be in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I love the combination of color grading and eye-hand coordination work. Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. (If you could add the Montessori Monday button or link back, that would be awesome!) I pinned your post to my DIY Sensorial Extensions board on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/diy-sensorial-extensions/

    ReplyDelete