Monday, October 24, 2011

Cutting "apples": playdough motor skills practice

We did some practical life/fine motor skills practice this morning...

To make the "apple cinnamon" play dough we used for practicing apple cutting, I started with my very basic cream of tarter play dough recipe.  This is my "go to" play dough recipe that I tend to mix up and use for EVERYTHING.
2 cups flour
2 cups water
1 Tablespoon cooking oil
1 teaspoon cream of tarter
1 cup salt
Mix well in a medium sized pot and heat slowly on medium until it forms a "dough".  Store in the fridge.

The easiest way to add colors and scents to this play dough recipe, in my experience, is to add them to the water before adding the other ingredients.  I added my two cups of water to my pot, then mixed in about 10 drops of red food coloring and 2-3 T of cinnamon.  Then I added the flour, oil, cream of tarter, and salt.  This makes it easier to make sure that the cinnamon and color go throughout the whole play dough and doesn't clump up in one area.

My dough sat in the fridge overnight, although it likely wouldn't need quite that long, if you are in a hurry or impatient.  I rolled about 1/4 of the batch into small balls, then set them out onto a workmat along with a plastic knife.

The Princess was, by far, the most excited about this activity.  She picked the first playdough "apple", and laid it on her workmat. 

And set to work cutting it.  It's a lot easier if the dough is cold, because it stays firmer and doesn't "squish" as much.


3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. For older kids you can teach them fractions also.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea. Thanks for visiting my blog. I am now a follower of yours.

    Lexi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog! :) I am following you back and looking forward to it! You have some great ideas on here! Love the play doh apples! My kids would really enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete