Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Montessori-inspired: DIY Sound Matching Game

My husband (aka "Big Daddy" as he is known around here) found these tiny little containers at the dollar store last week.  They came 10 to a package, which is quite a deal.  The containers hold a few ounces each, so the are a perfect size for a sound matching game. 


I painted the inside of the containers with enamel paint, half blue and half pink (I was out of red).  If you find another paint that works, let me know.  Painting on hard plastic can be a bit tough, but enamel paint does the job pretty well.  It takes a significantly longer time to dry than other paints, though, so be prepared for that. 

I didn't take pictures of this part, but I filled them.  There are literally nearly endless things you could fill these little containers with.  I used: kidney beans, rice, one small rock, a single "jingle bell", and little pasta noodles.  Just remember to fill one of each color with your objects, so you have two sets in different colors with the same sounds.  

I superglued my lids on.  If your kids won't open them, feel free to skip this step.  With my kids, if I want the lid to stay on, it better be superglued on!

I then marked the bottoms of the containers with symbols, so that the matching sound pairs have the same symbol (so, the pink with rice and the blue with rice both have stars, etc.).  This could be skipped, but it allows the child to check their own work when they've matched the pairs. All they have to do it flip them over, and they can see how they did!



Montessori Monday

3 comments:

  1. Such a great idea! My goal for November is to get some Montessori activities set up for my kids! This one will be great!

    Thanks for visiting my blog! Following you! :) And looking forward to reading more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great that your husband found those! I love your creativity in preparing a sound-matching activity. Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete