Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas vowel sound sorting

Have I mentioned that I love Christmas?  Here's yet another Christmas-themed educational activity that was super-easy and a ton of fun for the kids.

Here's what I put on one of our trays this morning.  






Each of the trees has a vowel on the top "a" through "u", and the stocking is full of phonics objects that I ordered from Montessori Services.



I made sure that each of the objects was a one syllable, short word with an easily identifiable middle vowel sound (ie, "jet", "tag", "nut", "pad", "bag", etc.).







The kid's goal was to sort each of the gifts under the correct tree according to the middle vowel sound.  So, "pad", "car", "tag", "bag" went under the "a" tree, "jet" went under the "e" tree, "lid" went under the "i" tree, "dog" and "pot" went under the "o", and "nut", "cup" and "mug" went under the "u" tree..

Montessori Monday

3 comments:

  1. Just stopping by from Montessori Monday! I actually planned something similar for my preschooler tomorrow...who's working on beginning letter sounds...I like how you used Christmas trees labeled with each vowel sound. Thanks for sharing a link to Montessori Services...lots of great Montessori resources there! I'm your newest follower on GFC!

    Lisa
    http://crisscrossapplesaucelearning.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-to-make-sandpaper-letters.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Christmas phonics activities! Thanks for linking up with Montessori Monday! I added your post to my Montessori-Inspired Christmas Activities at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/11/28/montessori-monday-montessori-inspired-christmas-activities/

    ReplyDelete